ActiveConversion makes it easy to address your email to the recipient by name, as well as adding company name or other information into the body of the email, using merge tags. Merge tags you can currently use include:
- Email address
- First and/or last name
- Company name
- Phone number
- Job title
- Website URL
- Address information
To add a merge tag to an email in ActiveConversion:
- Create an email under Marketing > Emails by clicking the green "New email" button
- Fill out the information requested on the Setup screen, and click the green "Next" button
- In the Content screen, write what you'd like your email to say
- Click to place your cursor where you'd like to place your merge tag. In this case we'll be adding the subscriber's first name. Then click the "Merge Tags" button:
- Click the name of the merge tag you'd like to use:
- Voila! The merge tag has been added. When your email is sent, [first_name] will be replaced with the first name of the recipient from your mailing list.
- Repeat this process for any additional tags, like company name or URL, that you'd like to use.
A few notes:
- Always send a test email to yourself before mailing to make sure the merge tag works out the way you anticipated.
- The merge tag will only be replaced if your mailing list has that information for the subscriber in question. For example, if my mailing list has a subscriber called Jane Doe (firstname.lastname@example.org), [first_name] would be replaced with Jane.
- If the subscriber didn't have a first name listed, [first_name] would be replaced with a blank space.