When importing your emailing lists to ActiveConversion, we recommend also importing a list of people who have unsubscribed to your list in the past.
This ensures compliance with spam laws like CAN-SPAM and CASL, as well as not making these people unsubscribe from your emails a second time.
To import a list of emails that have unsubscribed:
- Save a CSV file of all your unsubscribes
- Log in to the ActiveConversion software
- Under the "Marketing" menu, choose "Emails", then "Mailing Lists" from the drop-down menu
- Click the "Master List" link
- Choose the "Import List" button (top right)
- In the list import wizard, you'll have the option to choose "Unsubscribe from Master List"
Follow the steps in the wizard to finish the import.
If you wish to completely remove a list of email addresses from the email marketing Master List follow the steps indicated above, but for Step 6 select "Remove from all lists (permanent)" rather than "Unsubscribe from Master List".
Removing email addresses from the Master List permanently also removes the unsubscribe status flag from that email record, and if the email address is added again at a later date the address will be subscribed once more. Depending on the circumstances, this may cause CAN-SPAM or CASL compliance issues.