This article walks your tech team through tying your sales emails from Outlook 365 / Office 365 into ActiveConversion. Once connected, ActiveConversion will report when your prospects opened your email or access an attached document. It will also notify you when they click on a URL link in your email to your website. The prospects are then automatically assigned to you in ActiveConversion so you will get notified whenever they return to your website in the future.
Here's a quick overview of how it works:
- You write an email in Outlook
- Add your prospect's email address in the 'to' field
- Click the ActiveConversion icon in the Compose window to enable/disable tracking or add a document to be tracked
- The recipient opens the email
- ActiveConversion records the contact's name, email address, and the subject of the email they opened and starts tracking the recipient's activity
This is a great way to get more information about what existing clients or prospects are interested in and increases the number of leads ActiveConversion will have contact information for. You'll get automatic email notifications when a prospect assigned to you shows interest.
Contact & prospect activity information is stored in your ActiveConversion account under the prospect activity details, which are available on most screens in the ActiveConversion software.
How To Use
Once the add-in is installed (full instructions below), it's ready to use. You should see an ActiveConversion icon in the Compose window of any new emails you create.
Online Version (NOT AVAILABLE)
Enter your ActiveConversion username and password if needed to connect to your account. You should only need to do this once - your login will be remembered for next time.
Turns the tracking on or off. The setting you use from last time will be saved, so if you sent with ActiveConversion tracking enabled in the previous email you sent, it will still be enabled the next time you compose an email.
If you're not sure if tracking is enabled, just click the "Enable/Disable" link and the status will appear near the top of the email composition window.
The Track Document feature is ideal for salespeople who want more insight into who is viewing the sales proposals or collateral being sent.
To track a document, click the location in the email where you'd like a link to your document to go. Then click the AC icon in the Compose window and click "Track Document". Then you can either drag a file or click on the upload area to select the file to upload.
Your selected file will be uploaded to ActiveConversion, and a tracking link will be inserted into your email. When the message is sent, your recipient will click the link to download the sent file. If ActiveConversion has previously identified them, they will download the file directly. Otherwise, it will ask for their name and email address before downloading.
Any clicks of the tracking links, or downloads of this file, will be tracked in ActiveConversion under the lead's profile.
Tracking Link Clicks
ActiveConversion also tracks clicks from other links in your email. In order to track a link click, you will need to highlight the link and click the link (chain) icon in your message before the email is sent. Text links are not tracked. This gives you control over which link clicks are tracked in ActiveConversion and which do not contribute to your lead profile and scoring.
First Time Setup/Configuration
The first time you set up this connection you'll need to perform the following steps on your computer:
- Download the setup file from https://www.activeconversion.com/ac-outlook-setup.zip
- Unzip the setup file
- Open the "AcOutlookSetup.VBS" file
- When asked "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device", select "Yes"
- This will open Windows PowerShell. Type 1 and press enter to enable the connection:
- In the "Windows PowerShell credential request" screen, enter your Outlook 365 username and password
- Once the setup is done running, type "exit" at the command prompt or close the window
Set up for Outlook 365 (Online)
Due to changes in Microsoft systems and tracking, we are no longer able to offer a connection to the online version of Outlook 365.
Set up for Office 365 (Desktop)
To install the Outlook add-in:
- Click File > Options > Add Ins
- Click the "Manage Add-ins" icon
- On the "Manage add-ins" screen, click the "+" button and choose "Add from a URL"
- In the "Add add-in from a URL" box, enter the URL below and click "Next" to go through the wizard
- Once the add-in has been added, ensure that "Turned on" is checked on the "Manage add-ins" screen